Wednesday 8 April 2020

SD86 - 05a - SD8065 - Huntworth Common

Huntworth Common is a small area of common land lying along the South Craven Fault, uphill of Settle Golf V
Course.  There are usually a few cattle in the field. I was told a long time ago that three people had grazing rights, but I don't know what the situation is now. 

The north west of the fault (and the land to the north west of the road) is Carboniferous Limestone.  (Lying on top of Silurian rock) 

The land to the South West is  Gritstone the fault may be a mile deep. There are also Silurian boulders left by the glacier. 

There was a strip of Common Land all the way from Settle to Lancaster once, but most of it is now enclosed. 

I hoped it would be good. I remember finding Parrot waxcaps here 30 years ago. 

So on 1 April 2019 I set off. I had a quick look at the Ebbing and Flowing well. then at the woodland between the road and the common.

I enjoyed looking at the siliceous rocks and boulders lying around

I had several new species and two especially delightful finds.
1. My first record of Normandina pulchella in SD86 - In moss on the trunk of a very solitary, very exposed Ash Trunk.



I have seen Normandina at Ingleton churchyard (the Hectac SD67 to the NW) and a lot in the woodland at Leck Beck (In Lancashire) a bit further to the NW and in the same SD67)

Thanks to Janet Simpkin and the BLS for the map of Normandina  made in 2019/2020 and the other maps below


2.  I found Pycnothelia papillaria growing in a rocky heathy area -  it is related to Cladonia.  and though it grows in peaty heathland in North West Scotland and Western Ireland and the Dorset Heaths, it is very rare in our area.




I  found  my first  record Punctelia jeckeri  (I think) on some scrub by the wall at the foot of the bank next to the road, and one or two more new species.

Punctellia jeckeri - or just Parmela sulcata? Needs checking





My score for the day  came to 38.  (Remember the cut-offs for colour change are 18 yellow, 29 pale orange, and 41 dark orange, 56 scarlet.)  I  only need to find another 3 to get it into the dark orange category.

Well there is land on Giggleswick Scar - (woodland) , limestone cliffs, and the summit limestone pavement land let to explore another day.
------------------------------------------------------

In fact I did visit the summit in 2020 - on 6 April - that is within walking distance of home so great opportunity for "Lockdown" exercise. .. but I'll write about that another day... Maybe as  SD86 - 05b


No comments: