Friday 24 July 2020

Settle Wildflowers - Day 59 - Red 13 - Magenta - Knapweed - and a face mask that lets deaf people lip-read

Just received the face-mask I sent off for. Thank you to Feltbybex at Etsy . And big thank you to the dental surgery - Diamond Smiles at Barnoldswick for fixing my teeth last week.
Knapweed - Centaurea nigra - just coming out now
Now I can go shopping and still tell my Hard of Hearing friends about the wonderful flowers we can see on walks around Settle - In the picture a Knapweed (purple) and the picture lower down, Meadow Cranesbill (blue) Ordinary masks must give a terrible barrier to deaf people who rely on lip-reading. The Knapweed comes from Colt Park meadow near Ribblehead where I have been working for a month and was planted there as part of an experiment many years ago. I kept some flowers when they cut the grass for hay on Monday. Knapweed seems to be a wildflower that will survive in a glass of water and not wilt. This variety has longer outer florets than our normal Knapweed.
Meadow Crane's-bill from my garden,
but lots in the roadside opposite too.

Keep following bit.ly/Settle-Wildflowers
(this blog) to see what flowers I continue to find around Settle. If you live in walking distance of Settle or Langcliffe and would like to join me and possibly other members of Craven Conservation Group on an afternoon or evening walk (2m apart of course, and only up to 6 people total), do get in touch. ---------------
The next section is side tracking a little - because it is Colt Park 12 miles away, not Settle.. (and I may move this section onto a separate page sometime - But I'll get it up now whilst it is topical - and it shows where the odd knapweed came from
Recording the plots on Sunday 19 July.
The farmer is in the background with the tractor
cutting the main part of the field outside the plots.
There is some Knapweed in the right foreground

Monday 20 July - and the plots are "being "shorn"

As I leave Colt Park on Mon 20 July I notice the "Staycation Luxury Skipton to Appleby train" returning down the Settle Carlisle Line with Pen y Ghent in the Distance - at 15:19 - It is the first day that this service has been running.


No comments: