Friday 24 June 2022

30 Days Wild 2022: Day 24: FSC Millport, Cumbrae Grasses, Sedges and Rushes


It is Friday. I am having a wonderful time exploring the small island of Cumbrae c 30 miles WSW of Glasgow, and 30 miles north of Ayer. It is in the Firth of Clyde and the next big island is Bute. I got the  ferry from Largs last night. 


I am exploring sites, ready for the two days Grasses, Sedges and Rushes course I am running tomorrow Saturday and Sunday.  The course is daytime only 9.30 to 5pm, but two people are staying overnight. People come because they need to do grassland surveys, do research, or just for fun.  Anyone can come but I think you have to be 18 or over.


Also staying here at the moment is the Marine biology course from Manchester University.

There are still spaces .. and now having seen the wonderful facilities and surrounds I say to you all even  more so "Do come!"

There are lots of monocots to see within 1/8 mile of the Centre. I explored in the sun before breakfast. It was light at 4.30am, but I did not get out till after 6am. Now I am trying to decide which picture of the centre to put on the front cover of my Grasses handouts. . preferably one with some of the centre buildings in the background

Can you help me decide?


False Oat-grass flowers near the pond bridge, FSC Millport


Similar

In the pond is growing Marsh/Common Spike-rush. (Eleocharis palustris)
This is a member of the Sedge family.




Saltmarsh rush - Juncus gerardii at the shoreline



Red Fescue on soil above the lichen covered red sandstone rocks of the shore, with the Museum behind.
View along the shore from the same place.



Close up of false oat-grass





Timothy Grass



One or two flowers


Meadow Crane's-bill and Yellow Iris






Northern Marsh Orchid beside the school children's barbecue site.


Dog Daisies below the children's adventure footpath in the wooded cliff


The Bug hotel:- Well they do use bamboo canes (a grass) amongst other things to make the bug hotel



Bug hotel












Marsh Fox-tail in the pond





Yorkshire Fog







Here is my bedroom where I am typing this.

----------------------------------------------------
Last night I arrived at the island. Here are two stone pillars at the ferry terminal.

and some of the lichesn on them: 
ns 
f












No comments: