Monday 8 June 2020

Settle Wildflowers - Day 42 - Blue 8 - Forget-me-nots of drier ground


It is four weeks since the last blue ( & indigo & violet) addition on 13 May to this blog about flowers found on lockout walks from Settle and Langcliffe. There are just enough new plants with blue flowers around to stretch to having three versions of blue this time too: (blue - indigo - violet). Today we concentrate on Forget-me-nots

1. Mysosotis sylvatica - (Wood Forget-me-not ) 
The Wood Forget-me-not is normally a garden species or a garden escape. It is a perennial - so would have had time to grow into a big patch like this It's flowers are up to 8mm across.  
The flowers are almost completely flat. This can help distinguish it from the Field forget-me-not M. arvensis, which has much smaller and concave flowers

Both have hooked hairs on the calyx

This one was photographed next to Settle Golf Course on 25 April

Myosotis sylvatica - an impressive patch

Myosotis sylvatica

2. Myosotis arvensis - Field Forget-me-not.

This also has hooked hairs on its calyx, The flowers are smaller - up to 3mm, the leaves and flowers are greyer, It is an annual or biennial. This photo was taken at the road to the Hoffman Kiln on 7 June at 7 min past 7.


Myosotis arvensis - Field Forget-me-not



Myosotis arvensis Field Forget-me-not See the hooked hairs


3. Myositis discolor Changing Forget-me-not
I have found a third tiny, tiny  Forget-me-not that is just coming out..Myositis discolor but I might repeat it  the next post but one on (low nutrient) meadows.  The youngest flowers are yellow an they change to blue




There is a fourth fairly common forget-me-not of drier places, but there are no records of it in SD 86, the 10km sqaure in which Settle lies: Myosotis ramosissima - Early forget-me-not    see  map
-



No comments: