Monday 5 June 2023

05 June 2023 - 30 Days Wild encouraged me to look for Bird's-eye Primrose this evening

 Happy World Environment Day (5 June)

At 5.30pm I thought "I'll just nip up (via car) and see if I can find those Bird's-eye primrose plants whose leaves I had noticed a year and a half ago". I did - After a detour collecting mosses and photographing   a few lichens.. by 8 pm.. and then I spent ages trying to get a half decent photo.  they are just not easy to photograph.












They were growing in "M10" vegetation .. So here are some species growing with them

Butterwort

Red clover

Quaking grass

Lesser Club Moss - Selaginella selaginoides


A young Cotton-grass

I can't work out what this orange stuff is. The white is  calcium carbonate deposit. The orange might be a Trentepohlia alga or it might be a fungus

Mat Grass - Nardus stricta

They are just delightful.

So glad this area has not been "improved" with ordinary "farm yard grass", cow parsley etc.

Tomorrow I am going to help at Embsay churchyard (Churches count on nature"- so must go to bed now.

Thank you everyone doing 30 Days Wild for encouraging me to go out this evening.



No comments: