Friday 9 October 2020

Settle Wildflowers - Day 88 - Yellow 20 - Tall Melilot on Giggleswick Railway Station - and adjacent Craven Arms "winter garden"

Giggleswick Railway Station-
1. Site for 44 species of wild plant in flower in late September 
2. Including Tall Melilot - 
3. Adjacent to Restaurant with brand new "Winter Garden" - marquee

I mentioned two weeks ago that I had found 44 species of wild plant in flower at Giggleswick Railway Station on 25 September. One of these is Tall Melilot.  Melilotus altissima.




I took a small sprig home to let the flower go on developing so that I could look at a fruit. Here is the fruit on 8 Oct. It is slightly hairy. Graph paper is 1mm divisions)


Here is a a bee on one of the remaining Corn Sow-thistles at the Station.




The hotel/pub beside the Railway Station is called the Craven Arms.
On Tuesday 6th it opened a sort of indoor outdoor eating area- a big marquee- that can have the sides rolled up if it is warm - and kept down when it is cold. It is closed between 3pm and 5pm. 

On Wednesday  I called in for a cup of tea. I went for a short lichen walk before hand. 
It is lovely and light. I said I did not want the heating switched on just for me, but a gentleman came in and switched it on anyway - and it was plenty warm enough in 5 minutes.

It was lovely and light. In the picture it was 6pm so the outside twinkling lights had been switched on.

I really enjoyed my cup of tea and spent as long as possible. I got out my map and checked the grid references of plants on my walk. I watched the sheep in the field above. Do give it a try.















Caloplaca saxicola - Growing on the wall outside under trees facing the road to Settle. 
This is different to Xanthoria parietina and Caloplaca flavescens the other much more common large "marmalade lichens" in our area


Here are links to plants at Giggleswick Station covered in earlier blogposts

Common Vetch



No comments: