Friday 25 September 2020

Settle Wildflowers - Day 82 - White 18 - Giggleswick Station (today)

It is sunny this morning Fri 25 Sept at 9am so I set off for Giggleswick Station. It had been such a brilliant place on Sun 30 Aug. It is cold and windy.  I put on leggings under thick tracksuit bottoms, and on top of my light fleece and ski jacket I wear my waterproof jacket and my all year Christmas woolly hat .   Cheating,  I drive to the station.

There is still a good selection, but I have to search much harder.

Two flowers I have hoped to find are not there. Matricaria revutita (?) sp  is dead. 
Arenaria serpyllifolia -Thyme-leaved Sandwort leaves are present but no flowers.

However I was able to photograph:

1. Goose-grass - Galium aparine - really common
2. White Clover - Trifolium repens
3. Lesser Swinecress Coronopus didymus (aka Lepidium didymus)




Matricaria recutita  30 Aug 2020




View west from Giggleswick Station - You can see the road I took towards Cockett Moss on 30 August. 
See the glacial overflow channel with conifers on one side
 After Giggleswick Station the Line goes uphill to the highest point on the Giggleswick to Carnforth line about 1 mile away - the Line follows the lowest point between the Forest of Bowland in the SW and and the Limestone Hills of the Dales in the NE.




Interesting that enough soil has accumulated near the traffic island for more Reflexed Saltmarsh Grass Puccinellia distans to grow

Click here for more  Settle Lockdown Wildflower Walks

No comments: