Sunday 20 September 2020

VC65 - 02 - SE4071 - Norton-le-Clay Flowers

Kerry, Muff and I spent a happy day looking for wildflowers in and near Norton-le-Clay, SE4071, just south of Dishforth, as a contribution to the survey of VC65

96 species of higher plants revealed themselves to us in 4 hours. 12.30-4.30 (or 3.5 hours excluding lunch and fungi)
Then Muff and Kerry had to go. 

I could not leave the list at 4 short of 100..

So stayed on and found 4 more species in the village and then 30 more species round the edges of a huge arable field and its adjacent ditch.

I wonder how many more I might have found had the sun not set..

I came home and spent part of the evening searching on Google to see if I could find a litter picker with a long telescopic handle - suitable for grabbing plants out of very deep ditches, that might also double as a walking stick. 

Even with the fantastic zoom on my Lumix camera I still can't work out which Duckweed (Lemna) this is. can you?
 


There must be a market for such an instrument
(Failed - though am thinking about an apple-picker)
.
Then I tried to work out  -is this Apium nodiflorum or Berula erecta?




What do you think?
I thought it was Berula - but Plantnet (AI identifying site) gave first choice to Apium. and as I had found Apium much smaller, but higher on the bank in several other places, well maybe it was just Apium. and seeing the flowers now in the above picture it looks like Apium



Close up of Apium nodosum that I had been able to retrieve from a shallow ditch. 






Example of a large field


So back to lunch by the Shaggy Ink Caps









   



We are still not even sure of the genus of this one.










This was by a sandy path  later

   



We pondered over this



finally independently deciding on Geranium dissectum







I was pleased when we found, at a gateway some Coronopus squamatus.
Coronopus squamatus - flower near bottom of picture, wavy fruit in centre. I am not sure what the big lumps with white powder are. 









Walnut tree in village


Below: text still to be added






































No comments: