Tuesday 19 July 2022

Settle Wildflowers - Day 119 - Stag's-horn Plantain

Stag's-horn Plantain - It's scientific name Plantago coronopus actually means Crow's-foot Plantain.






This usually grows by the sea in the north of Britain but also grows inland in the SE of Britain. I  think there have only been a couple of records of this plant in our Vice County before - and those are near Harrogate. Our Settle plant is growing  at the pavement wall junction near the 20mph sign as you go towards Settle market place from the north, just before the road narrows. SD 81948 63742

Is this a sign of global warming? More likely it arrived with salting of the roads, or just from a passing quarry lorry.

It is Tuesday and it is the "record hot temperature day" 19th July 2022.  I decided to go to town just for the sake of it - and to buy a thermometer. It was 25 degrees in the thermometer shop, 25 degrees in my living room. I have just put the thermometer outside, in the shade near my house.. I'll tell you what it says in a few minutes...

Huh it only says 32.  (It said 40 in my car). Yesterday at Ripon it got to at least 34. Still it is only 1pm...   

By 2.15 it has got up to 34.5 degrees

 I shall continue with Settle Lockdown Walks occasionally - It is two years since I enjoyed the lockdown walks - and odd walks that I do now make me homesick for the  lockdown walks in 2020. But it's great when I see new plants that I did not see two years ago.

Index of Settle Wildflower Lockdown Walks

No comments: