Sunday 19 February 2023

First Blue Moor-grass of the year - & Do my recordings show the distribution of carparks? Hymenelia sp of lichen

My first Sesleria caerulea  Blue Moor-Grass in flower this year - At Winskill Stones (Plantlife) car park. 

My first Sesleria caerulea in flower this year - At Winskill Stones (Plantlife) car park.  (See lower down for pics in May 2020)

It is growing with I think mosses Pseudoscleropodium purum and Rhytidiadelphus squarrosus.

My red hat marks the place where it is in flower - though there is lots of it in leaf on the cliff ledges and slopes.



I am giving a talk to Settle Gardening Club on Wednesday 22 Feb, on (Settle) Lockdown wildflower discoveries " 2pm. Sett;e Quaker Meeting House,  so nipped up (in the car) to see if it is in flower yet.
While I was here I recorded some lichens.. mostly in the cliffs of the car park at eyelevel

Solenospora candicans

Opegrapha calcarea (in a ledge) - though not my first record for the site or monad.



There was quite a lot of this pink stuff or variations of it. I don't know what it is



close up

It scratches yellow when wet.

Now if this "yellow" represents orange then the algae is Trentepohlia  lichen is Hymenelia epulotica. If the yellow represents green the contained alga is trebuxioid and the lichen is Hymnelia prevostii



Here are pictures of Sesleria on 9 May 2020  -on a lockdown walk at Winskill Stones that lasted till after 20.44- I had  walked up then!!








 

No comments: