Wednesday 5 April 2017

Exploring Baildon Ready for Eco-Walk


Sloe beside church
On  Tue 11 April I am leading an

 Eco-walk & Meetup-Morning - Baildon Methodist Church

followed by a tour of Green Features of Baildon Methodist Church,
followed by LUNCH
followed by the separate option of staying on to Baildon Speakers Club to see how people gain tips, tricks, techniques and practice to become more confident and effective speakers (Everyone could benefit from this)

Here are some of the photos I took yesterday (4 April) when I went for an  hour's "recce"



The same  sign, seen from below the apple tree




There are a few wild flowers in the church garden below the apple tree - aka-weeds - Here is Common Dog-violet

Here is Ivy-leaved Speedwell




Next to the west porch is a cotoneaster bush with jolly berries.
Apparently the birds only east these if they are REALLY desperate-They are not juicy.



I set off on a walk, up towards Baildon Moor.

Looking downhill from Green Lane, Baildon




Baildon Hill
See Bradford spread out behind.
Summit 282m = 925ft  and the River Aire below - 60m  196ft

 If I walked diagonally forward to my right for five miles I would be on Ilkley Moor.


Oh, Hello -- a new friend!

In returning via the golf course, and Baildon Moor I found a bilberry bush.. and the flowers were just appearing - Early! - I did not expect to see them fully out till June.



April Bilberry flower!
Interesting that this part of Yorkshire (classified as Leeds)
chose Bilberry as their favourite flower in a survey by Plantlife



As I returned to the centre of Baildon, before going down the hill to Shipley to catch the train -- I saw the banner saying Baildon will be welcoming the Tour de Yorkshire - I looked at the map and see it only goes to the lower part of Baildon by the river Aire, not the high part I have been on.

I am looking forward to meeting the group next Tuesday. If I have time I'll put up some more pictures
 another day


No comments: