Friday 13 March 2020

SD86 - 10b - SD8160b - Lichens at Mearbeck

Settle Junction
Two weeks ago I visited SD8160 - the wall and wood just into the north of the Mearbeck square - and scored 18 species - producing a yellow square for the SD86 hectad. 

If I revisit this square, with another 11 species (total 29) I will be able to make the square turn light orange. (29-40 is light orange)

The A65 is a very busy narrow dangerous road, so best not surveyed. I park next to the railway bridge below Mearbeck House. 

I study the lichens on the flat metal top surface of the parapet of the railway bridge.  I wave to two trains going past. A police van stops on the main road but before I can walk up and cross the busy road to explain what I am doing the van leaves.




Physcia adscendens
Candelariella vitellina  on bridge parapet







I record Physcia adscendens, Phiscia dubia and a brown Melanahalea. Hypotrachyna revoluta (?) and take photos of Candelariella vitellina, and an unknown with black dots. (There is some Parmelia saxatilis but I have already recorded that before).



Looking south. See the two dark coloured lumps to the far left and right on the bridge top. they have a dark lichen with dark dots. In the foreground is Hypotrachyna revoluta



Hypotrachyna revoluta



With black dots


The pillar at the end of the bridge has a fine limestone capstone with fossils. Its surface is covered with Caloplaca flavescens, with a lemon yellow more powdery Caloplaca citrina on the sides

The old wooden post next to it has Trapeleoplsis flexuousa.


Trapeleoplsis flexuousa.



Trapeleopsis flexuosa.
and Candellariella vitellina





Not sure
The same, just closer



Well that gets us five new named lichens, and two no idea.

   ------------------------
Back over the noisy A65, the private drive up to Mearbeck is lined with parkland oak trees. It is a very windswept area.(receiving wind from industrial Lancashire and West Yorkshire in the past). The trees near the A65 will receive their quota of car fume pollution.

I discover five new lichens.
But as far as my list goes I am not totally sure of any of their names. So not much use as far as changing my yellow square ot pale orange.



I look at the first tree trunk: A lichen with a thick grey thallus and with black dots;




Phaeophyscia orbicularis 









Phaeophyscia orbicularis -camouflaged

Below: A lichen in a big white patch on the trunk: either a Pertusaria or Phlyctis


K turned yellow then red - so maybe Phlyctis argena. But there was only one patch of it.  with Phaeophyscia orbicularis above

K turned yellow then red - so maybe Phlyctis argena. But there was only one patch of it.




On the north side of the trunk is a yellowish greenish powdery lichen on the ridges. and with a pastel greenish granular lichen in the cracks. If only they could be Chrysothrix candelaris and Calicium viride.. but I see no pin heads. Much more likely to be an alga and some form of Lepraria


 

 


Ah well, may be I will have time to look at the specimens I brought back in envelopes  later, and work out names.










No comments: