Friday 28 August 2020

Settle Wildflowers - Day 71 - Seven colours - Settle Bypass 3 - 26 August

Do you know what plants grow on the Bypass? 

I have made three visits to the bypass now and not had time to talk about the bypass plants except for occasional ones that fit into the colour I was covering that week. However I would like to talk about this week (and a free lichen thrown in):

The evening of 26 August at the north end of Settle Bypass. 

Here are the flowers.
If I wait to write about each till it is their individual "colour turn" 
the plants will be in fruit 
and the flowers will be over.

Earlier this evening of Wed 26 August I sold some photo greeting cards" in Aid of the Rainforest"  to my friend Angela (thank you)).

I take a photo of the Tutsan in her garden  and say "I am going to visit the bypass."  

Although I encourage friends to come with me to many places, I don't this time. I just don my yellow high visibility waistcoat and set off, ready to grit my teeth and haunch my shoulders as the cars and lorries hurtle by.

When I get there.. 

Oh dear..

The verges have just been mown. They council may only mow once or twice a year.. but it has been today!!

The cut grass lying there is still fresh. 

Still, with two full miles of  roadside vegetation look at and less than two hours in the evening to do it   (6.30pm-8.30pm) there will still be plenty to see. 

Also, the verges DO need cutting. The uncut land back from the verge cut is now becoming dominated by False Oat-grass. Arrhenatherum elatius

I stop at the layby SD 76 - SD787657
 - ( just west of my Lichen and Settle hectad SD86) at a litter-bin colonised with Lichens Xanpthoria parietiana and a little Parmotrema perlatum where a sign informs me that I am under video surveillance to ensure I do not drop litter or leave fly tipping. 

Parmotrema perlatum


On the bank at the south of the layby I discover Marsh Woundwort Stachys palustris   (PURPLE/ Pale Midland Railway Red) - It has the same smell as Hedge Woundwort, if not as strong, The opposite leaves are narrow and have no petiole.

Brilliant.

I have been looking for this in the Settle area - even asking Elizabeth Shorrock if she can suggest where it grows - and have not found it till today. - I find more of it at the west bank at the northern junction too, there growing with ordinary Hedge Woundwort for comparison.
I can make another "Thistle and Woundwort post" on this blog one day.




I climb the bank on the opposite side of the road to the litterbin layby, scambling up through the False Oat-grass to the wall and greet the cows nearby over the wall. The hill directly next to me- rough grazing with lots of Tormentil rises up above to Bucker Brow.

Here I find Sneezewort (WHITE) (Achillea ptarmica)  and flowers of Sharp-flowered Rush (BROWN)  Juncus acutiformis


Sneezewort - Achillea ptarmica



Sharpflowered Rush - Juncus acutiflorus





I drive to the next layby up on the right hand side , almost at the northern junction, and walk towards the northern junction.


Here I find Common Blue-sow-thistle,  Cicerbita macrophylla  (BLUE) 



Blue-sow-thistle - I take lots of photos of the one and only flower left after the mowing  -  with the sun dramatically setting behind the tree opposite - It is now a quarter to eight 





 A Hypericum (YELLOW) still to be checked Hypericum perforatum 


 I take pictures of the fruit of Purging Buckthorn Rhamnus cathartica (GREEN - though they will soon go black)- Leaves toothed, 2-4 pairs lateral veins, buds with scales.  All accompanied by lots of False-Oat-grass (GREEN)

Field Bindweed: Convolvulus arvensis- (PINK). 









I search for Foxtail Barley by the road further north but it must be 15 years since I have seen it there.
Definitely not there now. 
Whhweeyy -on the 27th I find some - Yes it is. 
That will be my next post. It is can be GREEN

WHITE - Sneezewort Achillea ptarmica

RED - ( pale pink) - Convolvulus arvenis

ORANGE - ( brown ) - Sharp pointed Rush Juncus acutiflorus

YELLOW - St John's-wort Hypericum perforatum possibly

GREEN -  False Oat-grass Arrhenatherum elatius

BLUE - Common Blue-Sow-thistle  Cicerbita macrophylla 

INDIGO & VIOLET - Marsh Woundwort  Stachys palustris




Time to go home.

Below: Pictures to be used in two of my next posts.. Irish Tutsan Hypericum pseudohenryi - This is planted as central "hedges" on the roundabout at the south end of the bypass - 




Below: Foxtail Barley: Hordeum jubatum : on the Settle road at the north end of the bypass
Delighted to see this - They have not cut the road to Settle yet - just the bypass.




(up to 210 species now - but it is the end of August)

Till next time!!

No comments: