Thursday 20 May 2021

Settle Wildflowers - Day 111- This year I visited the Spring Cinquefoil and Horseshoe-vetch in time!!

Spring Cinquefoil.

This plant is a rarety and grows in very shallow south and west facing soil on top of limestone outcrops.  I have seen it in specail places in Langcliffe, Stainforth and Giggleswick parishes.

I visit this plant on 17th May 2021 and pat myself on the back because this year I  have made the visit BEFORE Tormentil comes out. (Tormentil looks very similar) I brave the rain showers. 

The plant has survived the hail storm

I check up on my last years posting (Day 33) 

https://rainforest-save.blogspot.com/2020/05/settle-wildflowers-day-33-yellow-5.html

- only to discover I had found it by 2nd of May last year. Well we did have a wonderful spring last year! and we had a very cold, very dry April this year.



Distribution of Spring Cinquefoil - from BSBI maps




Lamb and Spring Cinquefoil




Spring Cinquefoil - a bit battered by the rain and hail

Bulbous Buttercup just one or two out


Horseshoe Vetch


Click here for more flowers coming out around Settle



No comments: