Thursday 21 June 2018

30 Days Wild - Day 13 - Gravestones at Settle

Gravestone at Settle churchyard with Klebsormidium crenulatum
Wednesday 13th included a short walk in Settle churchyard with a friend who was part of a history group that intended to look at the graves stones, and try an make the writing on them more clear. 
Although we had some concerns about loss of lichen they decided that the first job was to remove the grass clippings and some of the moss that was growing  well where the grass clippings had fallen.

It reminded me of the video I had made of the lichens on one big tombstone .. 

It reminded me of a moss Cinclidotus fontinaloides that I had been surprised to found in some of the "walled" graves in the churchyard since this normally grows in river beds.. and then I remembered th day that a stream had flowed through the churchyard


No comments: