Tuesday 13 June 2023

11b June 2023: Open Farm Sunday at Cappleside Farm, Rathmell SD75 and Pertusaria pertusa - 30 Days Wild

 After the walk from Keasden church to Newby chapel, there was just time to go to Open Farm Sunday at Cappleside, Rathmell - which was from 10am to 4pm. I arrived at 3pm. It was still really warm and sunny. A dog competition was taking place.

In time for one of the last beefburgers. I ate it in the shade with the last of their tomato ketchup. I listened to the familiar music of a group playing folk music- that had been playing for Skipton Firecrackers Morris team earlier. I met some friends from Selside, and later two friends from Settle (A and M).

I followed the farm walk trail. On the way round I found some "Pepper pot lichen" Pertusaria pertusa on a beech tree.  At approximately SD79885946 It was in Hectad SD75. If it had been 200 m to the west it would have been in hectad SD85 and then it would have been a new hectad record.  However it has been found in SD85 before.

I see I have found it in three places in SD86 (out of the 40 monads I have surveyed so far)




There was dark brown gungy stuff which might be Candelariella reflexa - or maybe just an alga. I need  to look at it under a microscope. 




There was a spider too.

On an oak tree near the footbridge lower in the field was potential Chaenotheca ferruginea on an oak tree. at Approx SD79955946 -  

Ah I see that this would be a new record for SD75. So I had better take care with its identification.


Maybe Chaenotheca ferruginea at approx SD79955946


The old bridge - Lum Brig.


Some pictures from the trail.





This is in SD75 but all the middle ground is my hectad SD86



No comments: