Saturday 17 June 2023

16 June 2023 Friday- Higher views down to Langcliffe & Settle - More Lichens - 30 Days Wild - Lecanora crenulata

On Fri 16 June I set off early (to avoid the heat) up to the dry limestone fields above Langcliffe and Settle to get a better view of Doris' bungalow in Settle below.  I realised I needed to walk above Clay Pits Plantation (not below as I had done on 8 June).

“Just take me an hour” I thought. I parked my car at the top of Langcliffe Brow and set off at 7.30am.


8am

I walked through the field (see above)  that had had wonderful Waxcaps Last October/November (See map). (Just think only another 4 months and I may be looking for waxcaps again). The dry Agrostis-Fescue-Holcus grassland looked very dry. (Indeed I photographed an empty water tank on a trailer later)


Across the flat field and into the next on the slope - and I could see Doris's bungalow - and even her car! 

   



Good camera - Panasonic Lumix TZ40 - good magnification


 My lichen score had reached 31 on Thursday (hence changed colour on my chart to orange - at 29). Today I would search for  glacial erratics- odd small boulders of greywacke (sandstone) carried up maybe from the valley near Horton. Lying on the ground or placed in the limestone dry stone walls


I sat on the dry grass in the sun in my shorts, and looked at the lichens on the boulder with my hand lens.  A wheatear, maybe thinking I was just a sheep, came and sang on a nearby rock.  I applied chemicals - The Pertusaria corallina went yellow with K and then orange - but not red, so I wrote it down as P corallina.  (Not sure what the darker lichen below is that did turn red with bleach) - See Giggleswick beyond the rock 




I looked beyond it to the one hawthorn tree in the field - it had Ramalina farinosa - but decided it was only worth doing trees  in winter as the leaves are very dense now.

I noted an evenly coloured pale pink lichen on a half buried acid stone - It went red with bleach. I will write it as   Trapelia coarctata.. maybe. Or Maybe Trapelia placodioides

(Bleach  (C,) on the left and KOH on the right - I feel guilty looking back and seeing I have made such big blobs.




 


I have several unknown specimens of lichens. Will I ever have time to sort them?


Still, here is one new lichen  for me: Lecanora crenulata -- on limestone (though it has been found in SD86 before by other people)  - Its new name is Myriolecis crenulata



 Dobson says" The margin is more crenulated and inrolled than in in L dispersa and has a translucent appearance (like porcelain)



I return past the empty water tank, and return home at 11.30 - My one hour walk seems to have taken 4 hours.









No comments: