Wednesday 21 June 2023

20 June 2023 Toad Rush in Booth's Car Park and Views 30 Days wild

 It was 8.30 on 20th June- the longest evening -

I should really have been preparing material for the Grasses, Sedges and Rushes course I am to teach at the weekend (at Blencathra) - Rushes have six perianth parts (like petals) and the capsule splits into three...  But instead I drove up the hill beyond Giggleswick- Craven Bank Lane so that I could have a view looking west and so catch the evening sun:


1. It brought back memories of 2020 Lockdown when I walked everywhere. How I valued everything so much more then. I grieved that now life is so rushed - I try to squeeze too much into a day - even too many photographs.

2. I could look and see the hills of my lichen hectad survey SD86 spread out before me - including the hill above Langcliffe SD8264

3. Grasses gleamed in the evening sun - maybe held back because growing in ground that had been parched until two days ago

Crested Dog's-tail


False Oat-grass






Turted Hair-grass in the foreground, looking towards Pendle





Pendle

Meadowsweet is now out.



Panoramic view of the hills east of Settle  SD8260 to 8266 I think





Dog Rose, almost at the Bypass

Dog Rose, almost at the Bypass


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I returned to Booths supermarket at Settle to carry out my original objective - to buy some extra items for the Coffee morning at St John's Church tomorrow.

As I left I noticed -- in the gutter - just by the central pavement

A shoot of Toad Rush... 

I had recorded so many weeds of Settle during 2020 - yet never recorded this.  I can add it to my "Lockdown Plants of Settle Section" of this blog. 

Hurray!

This plant likes damp trackways - yet it has survived here.

And as I look at the picture closely I see it has two green fly on it - even a tiny weed, in a drought - is supporting two other creatures.



Enjoys listening to this music that I was told about today: 

https://culturecolony.com/en/media/video/towards-silence-documentary 33 minutes (contains, explains and contextualises the music)
https://culturecolony.com/en/media/video/towards-silence-music 17 minutes




No comments: