Monday 19 June 2023

19 June 2023 Monday - More lichens in SD8264 - in Langcliffe - 30 Days Wild -Top of walled footpath from main road down towards Railway footbridge

Morning on laptop: I spent the morning adding and tidying up lichen results from my walks in the "fields above Langcliffe" SD8264 in my Excel sheet. 

Lunch outside at the Hub /Friends Meeting House.- Vegetable soup including vegetarian sausage pieces made by Tim the cook. Friends there discussed their holidays.  I seem to be having my holiday this month just going for lichen and other walks. (Wednesday 21st will be will be Eco Explorers again) and then writing them up!

Afternoon was sorting emails. 

Then a friend visited and said that "Eating lunch outside isn't a very wild thing to do."

So with the warm evening sun shining on Langcliffe, I drove ( all of 1/4mile) into Langcliffe and parked on the main road that bypasses Langcliffe. I took the path !down tot'mill" - well the first 10 metres of it. I was wearing my Vibram five fingers sandals, a fleece top and shorts - not super sensible since there were nettles on one side of the path, growing  amongst the first Meadow Crane's-bill I have seen in flower this summer. 



Looking down the path - See the variety of habitats

Looking back up the path




Looking up when the sun came out 

The walled footpath that leads down from Langcliffe over the the railway down to t'mill (the paper mill) is in the bottom corner of SD8264 that I have been recording.- My score (as I said by Saturday) was 44. Could I reach a total of 56 - (the total that would change the colour on my chart)? i.e 12 new ones?

The 20 m of this narrow footpath within the monad  has many diverse habitats: Dry stone wall, with acid and basic rock, parts with moss and mortar, shade because the path is narrow, and three trees, One of them is an ash. Maybe I should not say this, (tempting fate)  but it is the very first one I have seen recently not affected by Ash die-back.  (Or maybe I wasn't looking carefully - there was a strange lichen on the trunk that might turn out to be a fungus.).


Candidate for Porina aenea?  (Field of view is c 2cm wide)

Field of view is c 6 mm wide






Squamulina cartilaginea always makes for a good picture, especially when it is moist. (Field of view c 2cm)

Squamulina cartilaginea close up

Caloplaca arcis

Caloplaca arcis closer up





An insect


Also on the Ash trunk: Is this a fungus?




This sn't though. It is probably Graphis scripta


I also crossed the main road and looked at the old wall outside Langcliffe Hall which had more Caloplaca arcis. 

It also had Placidium squamulosum - which looks like Romularia lurida and they do grow in the same places- in mortar in crevices in walls.




Placidiuim squamulosum

Placidiuim squamulosum



Placidiuim squamulosum closeup

There was more Toninia sedifolia on this wall too.




No comments: